1. Bruce
    Bruce April 13, 2009 at 11:14 am . Reply

Exactly. It’s not that the “conservatives” don’t want to see things that offend *them*, it’s that they want to deny those things to everyone *else*. If it could truly be reduced to persuading them to avoid things they find offensive, they’d have chosen that solution long ago .. they’ve had ample opportunity to do so. What amazes me is that Amazon clearly doesn’t seem to understand this ..

2. Lee Rowan
    Lee Rowan April 13, 2009 at 12:38 pm . Reply

As one of the authors hit by this idiocy, I thank you for your support.

3. Marvin
    Marvin April 13, 2009 at 12:43 pm . Reply

Seems to me we should all just go do our local bricks-and-mortar stores (granted, this is easier for some of us than others), buy a bunch of books, music, and DVDs, and then e-mail Amazon saying, “I just bought a whole lotta shit. And I didn’t buy it from you because you’re being dipshits.”

4. Charles
    Charles April 13, 2009 at 12:49 pm . Reply

Apparently Amazon is now saying that this was a “glitch.”

I suppose we can’t completely rule out this possibility, but it sounds very fishy to me.

5. Dave Conrad
    Dave Conrad April 13, 2009 at 9:11 pm . Reply

“Why? Because it is with liberal-minded people that free speech is valued. It is liberal-minded people who do not wish to live in a censorship-and-surveillance republic.”

I have to disagree with you here – both sides have cranks that want to ban one form of speech or another. Liberals tend to be in favor of “politically correct language” and more likely to be thought and behavior police when it comes to things like smoking and other social ills than conservatives are. Conservatives seem to corner the market on sexual and other lifestyle “choices”. I don’t think either side of the aisle has a monopoly on censorship and surveillance, it’s just a matter of what they want to censor and observe.

6. Julia
    Julia April 14, 2009 at 12:43 pm . Reply

Someone in France messed up something there, and the error propagated across the entire system.

My test case is coming up correctly when I search on it now, so at least part of the problem is fixed. Still no rank for that one, though.

7. Julia
    Julia April 14, 2009 at 9:13 pm . Reply

At this point, from everything I’ve seen, part of the search problem was separate from the ranking issue, and that seems to be fixed, but the ranking issue is still there, and varies from one country to another.

And the other thing is, Amazon has not actually *apologized* for anything, and they needed to do that on Sunday. I think they’ve permanently lost a few very vocal customers, and there are a great many more who are disgruntled and ready to jump one way or the other, and the sooner an actual *apology* happens, rather than tossing aside problems and concerns as, “Oh, it’s a glitch”, the more it’s going to mitigate the damage. Every hour passing without an *apology* is just going to hurt them more.

(If I had Jeff Bezos in front of me, I would be throwing a copy of _The Five Languages of Apology_ and telling him to use it to get himself some Clue. Of course, if he were in front of me, I’d have to go to the guest room to get the book, but maybe I could throw it at him in the breakfast nook instead of in my office.)