My short story “Sunshine” just went live on the Cosmos website, and with an excellent illustration to boot:It’s a story I wrote last year during the MERS outbreak, and it’s about a grim as you can get with a title like that. I’ve posted some notes (on the genesis of the story, trivia, background notes, and more) as usual over on my Story Notes archive. You can see them here.
Other Recent Publications:
Besides that, a couple of my book reviews appeared in the December issue of the digital magazine Kyoto Journal, issue 84:
- “Thoughtful Juxtaposition.” (A review of Phantasm Japan: Fantasies Light and Dark, From and About Japan, edited by Nick Mamatas and Masumi Washington.) Kyoto Journal 84, December 2015.
- “Examining Expats.” (A reviews of Lotusland, by David Joiner.) Kyoto Journal 84, December 2015.
(Incidentally, my good buddy Joe Milan has a story in that issue as well, so I recommend checking it out.)
For those who missed my other recent publications, a roundup of everything from 2015 would include:
- “The Spurned Bride’s Tears, Centuries Old, in the Rain” (Short story.) in issue 5 of Lontar: The Journal of Southeast Asian Speculative Fiction, published in October 2015.
- “The Return of Sarnath” (Short story.) in Cthulhu Fhtagn!, edited by Ross Lockhart for Word Horde, published on 15 August 2015.
- My wife and I did a translation of Boyoung Kim’s “An Evolutionary Myth” (“진화신화”) that appeared in Clarkesworld 104 (May 2015).
- Finally, the film my wife and I (as Brutal Rice Productions) made from my screenplay Daerijeon: The Proxy War (an adaptation of Korean SF author Djuna’s novella “대리전”) was completed and released on Youtube earlier this year.
Forthcoming & Writing News:
“Sunshine” is my first publication of 2016, but it won’t be the last.
I’ve also sold a story to Analog, which should be appearing sometime in early 2016. (It’s titled “Prodigal” but the original first draft of the story, completed all the way back in 2006 at Clarion West, had a very different title.)
I’ve also sold an adventure titled “The Marvelous Ales of the Abbey of St. Christopher” to the popular tabletop RPG company Lamentations of the Flame Princess, and am just working on the final edits now.
And finally, a small ebook anthology of some of my SF short stories will be appearing in Italian translation this summer, published by Future Fiction (an imprint of Mincione Edizione), and edited by Francesco Verso. (He’s chosen “Alone With Gandhari,” “The Bodhisattvas,” “Sarging Rasmussen: A Report by Organic,” and “The Country of the Young” for the anthology.)
Funny I should have so much going on all of a sudden. I credit the fact that, with a newborn on hand, I’ve been too busy to write much new stuff, but not too busy to submit stories and look for calls for submission. Here’s hoping for more good news on that front.
Oh, and I’m mulling a couple of media projects, one a horror/SF webseries involving the struggles of parenting a newborn, and another inspired by Dave King’s brilliant, hilarious satirical video series Rational Funk. We’ll see if we can get those off the ground. Big if, but I will have some time frommid-January until March. I’ll be trying to complete a novel in that time too, though.