1. Wow, really?
    Wow, really? September 22, 2012 at 7:47 pm . Reply

This has got to be some of the most offensive stuff I’ve read in Korea in the last 5 years. Nice to know one English Prof. in Korea thinks I’m a White Endorsement Monkey for saying positive things about Korea. You’ve got a seriously flawed way of thinking when it comes to this.Wonder what 10,000 other White Endorsement Monkeys living in Korea would have to say about this.

1. Noah Body
      Noah Body September 24, 2012 at 11:39 pm . Reply

Reading comprehension fail.

2. smurfystew
    smurfystew September 23, 2012 at 9:32 pm . Reply

Hi, this is a great piece of writing on life in the trenches of Korea. I was wondering if you would be interested in letting us feature this on the site I run, asiapundits.com? We cover a variety of issues in Korea and this piece would really hit home with our readers here in one way or another. If you are interested in letting us run the piece, please feel free to send an email to asiapundits@gmail.com and I will gladly post it for you later in the week with a link back to your site to get you some traffic. Thanks.

3. osori
    osori September 29, 2012 at 1:14 pm . Reply

Might you pause, for at least a moment, to consider that your perception towards “nationalism” and a few rocks in the sea might be tainted by the fact that you and yours have never been subjected to colonialism? That never crossed your mind? Even after all these years, you still haven’t figured that out?

If some group had viciously violated your kin, you wouldn’t let them take even a discarded toothpick from your yard, for the next thousand years. And you’d be damn right. And the dolt who came by from some other county, wondering “why you all bothered about a toothpick?” would look like a full on fool. And that’s what you look like here, spouting about Dokdo like you know something. Shame on you.

4. General
    General September 30, 2012 at 2:52 pm . Reply

Some Korean dude asked me with a huge smile “What do you think of Korean people?”… I replied
    “Like any other people, you have good apples and your bad apples”. Took the wind out of his sails.

5. Krystal
    Krystal October 8, 2012 at 2:17 pm . Reply

I understand the “white endorsement monkey” stance. I think it implies to all foreigners and not just white people in general. I’m an African-American, and many people from my co-teachers, students, to random people on the street will ask me about Korean situations or dance moves, whatever. I do feel pressured to act this way for the sake of my job, or to get people to leave me alone, or be more accepting of me due to my looks (being African-American and all). I get the phrase in Korean that, “I’m cute” and the pat on the head. I understand your position on not wanting to be some type of clown and I applaud you man and wanted to let you know that you have another person here who thinks exactly like you do. Wanting to do your job and live in a country that’s extremely nationalistic and pressured to fit into the societal in-group is very tough. I’m tired of having to choose between me keeping my job or leaving with my sanity trying to stay in a country that cares nothing about my culture or my societal norms, values, and sanctions. On OCN (tv channel) they air this commercial that shows a foreigner dressed up as an ATM machine, lightsabering with a Korean who ultimately wins the sword fight and knocks the foreigner ATM machine on it’s knees. The Foreigner still stays on the ground, looking at his defective lightsaber and the Korean swings his in victory. Makes me sick.

Current ye@r *